BioStar is a site for asking, answering and discussing bioinformatics questions. We are members of the community and find it very useful. Often questions and answers arise at BioStar that are germane to our readers (end users of genomics resources). Every Thursday we will be highlighting one of those questions and answers here in this thread. You can ask questions in this thread, or you can always join in at BioStar.
BioStar Question of the Week:
I am composing a list of Open databases with information related to toxicology. Of course, databases with assay data are a good start, including PubChem (partly Public Domain) and ChEMBL (a CC license). But I am interested too in databases with data on, for example, CYP metabolism. The exact nature of the data I am impartial too, and OpenTox servers are of interest too.
Important is that the database must be Open Data, or close to it. Any data available according to the Panton Principles is perfect, and anything under a Creative Commons license acceptable. Explicit statements on license or waiver must be provided by the database.
The top answer gives a nice list of resources, starting with:
Here are some links (non exhaustive list). These offer publicly available data, but in most of the cases there is no explicit license.
- PubChem http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
- US EPA Distributed Structure-Searchable Toxiciy (DSSTox) Database Network http://www.epa.gov/ncct/dsstox/index.html
- US EPA ToxCast http://www.epa.gov/ncct/toxcast/
- US EPA Actor http://www.epa.gov/ACToR/
- US EPA Integrated Risk Assessment System http://www.epa.gov/iris
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry toxicological profiles http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov
- Hazardous Substances Data Bank http://www.toxnet.nlm.nih.gov
- European Chemical Substances Information System http://ecb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/esis
- OECD Screening Information Data Sets (SIDS) http://www.inchem.org/pages/sids.html
- OECD eChemPortal http://webnet3.oecd.org/echemportal
- Fraunhofer ITEM Repeated dose toxicity (web site) http://www.fraunhofer-repdose.de
- ISSCAN (Chemical carcinogens) http://www.iss.it/ampp/dati/cont.php?id=233&lang=1&tipo=7
- Chemical effects in Biological Systems (CEBS) http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/resources/databases/cebs/index.cfm
–ngn, and one other user; this became an editable community wiki so multiple contributors are possible
The discussion goes on some more and includes a number of EU projects that were new to me. But if this is an area that you are interested in you may want to learn about. Check out the rest of the exchange over at BioStar.